Wednesday, June 26, 2013

You Would Die to Eat This Melon

Let me share to you my frustration about fruit in Japan.
Fruit in Japan is kind of backwards from the way I've known it to be all my life, growing up in North America. How much would you pay for 12 exceptional strawberries?
What about 105$?
OH NO! Because that's what it is for 12 "excellent quality" strawberries. They're pink!
 Don't worry. You can still eat great strawberries without shelling such a fortune. But they're still expensive.

You see, here, fruit, is grown with one thing in mind - quality. As a matter of fact, every single one you eat here will be bigger, fresher, tastier, juicier than what you find most other countries (bananas are the exception!) Only a small amount of the fruit makes it to the market here. The rest, what a foreigner like me would consider to be regular quality fruit -

GOES TO HELL!

It literally gets thrown out or feeds livestock! Like pigs! Your American fruit is worthy of pigs, it seems to tell me.
Consequentially, I don't eat much fruit. It's tempting sometimes, but I have a guilty conscience buying something fractionally cheaper in Canada. Here, a nice apple the size of two fists is 2$. A large peach is 4$. Those are touchable. Sakuranbo cherries not so much.
This takes the cake.

Maybe I'll just never get it, but here's another fun fact. Exorbitantly expensive fruit is considered a great gift and in very good taste. Basically that high class stuff.
If you buy some in specialized shops (since they don't sell them just anywhere) they'll actually gift wrap them for you and give them to you in this fancy box.
 Truth be told, I don't know if I could eat something worth 130$. Could I sell it?

No comments:

Post a Comment