Saturday, July 19, 2014

An Invasion of Doraemon

Today I passed through the Roppongi Hills complex and found a small army of Doraemon crowding the square. I guess it must've been in promotion for an upcoming movie? Apparently, there were 66 of them, and no two were exactly alike. It was neat, and, as you could probably imagine, there were lots of people posing for pictures. I managed to snag a few myself. I do wonder what the hell they'll do with all these Doraemon once they move them out of the square though.


Doraemon

 Doraemon's probably up there with Anpanman amongst the most recognizable children's characters
in Japan. The series has been around for around 40 years now, both in manga and in animated form, and I've recently read that there are plans under motion to take the series to America. As of now, the series is diffused throughout most of Asia already.
 But I wonder if American television is ready for it! Episode by episode, Doraemon is pretty light in nature, but the root of the series' plot is the story of a man whose life was ruined by bullying, who decides to buy a robot and send it back in time so that it may improve his grandfather's way of life. The best robot he can afford, though, is a rejected ear-less cat toy - the titular Doraemon. The robot is sent back to the grandfather's childhood, and advises him with his day to day problems, usually providing the kid gadgets.
 So you can see how some of the elements are a little tragic, actually. I wonder what the American audience will think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment