Friday, October 31, 2014

Soft Camping in Okutama

Since coming to Japan, I haven't really gone proper camping. There was that one time I slept inside the concrete tube, but you know, none of the traditional stuff. More's the pity, because camping is kind of my thing. I was a boyscout for longer than five years, growing up. I'm a big fan of the great outdoors. It just so happened though that a few workmates of mine decided they would get together and throw a camping trip - mind you, none of the hardcore stuff, but just a simple get away with a rented shack, sleeping bags and campfire. So I got off work and hopped on a two-and-a-half hour train ride to Okutama.
 It turned out to be quite a relaxing get away. Though I arrived at 10 in the night, my coworkers, Akemi, Ty, and Bryan, met me at the station and we got to it pretty quickly. Our rented shack was just big enough to have the four of us lay out our sleeping bags, but we were sure to get some campfire time in before that, and even pull out some fireworks.
Bryan, Ty and I. By our mental age combined, we're 12.
 It had actually been a longer time than I remembered that I had hung out with a group of people who were actually in the same age range as I was.  Even though one of us had to make it back to Tokyo in the morning, we still had the following day off, and we figured we'd make the best of it.

 Though I had been to Okutama once before, coming again in Autumn was definitely a good choice if only for the colors. The region being so choke full of mountains as it is, hiking trails of all lengths and difficulties were easy to find, and gaining some height gave us a good view of the autumn leaves and the scenic countryside towns nestled deep in the valleys. It was hard to believe we were still in Tokyo prefecture, with the air so fresh and not a single busy street in sight.
By the time we came down, though, we were good for lunch, so we rented  poles and plunked ourselves down for an afternoon of fishing. If truth be told, I'm not the best angler out there, but it's not like we found ourselves any random creek. The fishing area was heavily controlled and just about anyone had a good chance of catching fish here. The deal was we had half the day to catch five fish each, after which we were free to do what we wanted with them. Catching fifteen fish between the three of us took us less than two hours in total. We then brought them up and had them cooked on skewers.


Our expedition ended with a dip at a hot spring, and we finally the long train ride back to Tokyo. It was just enough to fill the day, but all in all, it just left me craving for some good old fashioned hard camping. The kind with tents and bears and peeing in bushes. That'll come another time, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment