Thursday, January 1, 2015

Comiket 87

Happy New Year's everyone! I've been going around here and there, attending end of year parties, events, and traveling out of Tokyo. I have quite some catching up to do in order to put it all on the blog, but it's coming. Here we go, starting from the top.

It's been a year and a half coming, but here I am once again, staring at massive crowds of passionate geeks running about from booth to booth, collecting their manga goods and shipping them home, and rushing out again to collect some more. And all this despite it being a rainy Monday.
More specifically, I attended the second day of the 87th bi-annual Comic Market. This being my second time, though, I knew what to expect - or so I thought. If you're interested in a summary about what Comiket is about, check out my coverage from the 84th!

Amateur publications - imagine this, times 300, and you've got Comiket!
Of course, this being the Winter Comiket, I did find that the event wasn't quite as grandiose as its Summer counterpart. Understandably, it's a little more difficult for people to come out in the cold of Winter than it is on a sunny Summer day - and twice as much so when it comes to people dressing up for cosplay. Still, that isn't to say the event itself was small in any way. In truth, I probably wouldn't have imagined it could be any bigger than this if it had been my first time. And when it comes to costumes, there's still quite a sizable amount of people out there doing their thing.
 Mind you, in Winter like in Summer, the area for cosplay is outside of the building! One can't help but marvel at the girls in skimpy outfits doing their things out in the cold. Once again, there's a little something for everyone here.
Whether cute...
   
...or cool,

...or simply out of the ordinary.


At any rate, thus concludes my brief coverage of Comiket 87. It's been fun, and I never really get tired of seeing what people can concoct when they're this driven by...anything, really. Fandom is at once something dreadful, powerful, and awe inspiring. All you have to do to see that is check out Comiket for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment