Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mount Takao: A Brief Visit

 Stemming from a decision taken on a whim, pretty much, Ken and I (and a rather shy 13-year-old named Jun) went on a small side trip to a mountain just off the side of Tokyo, named Mount Takao.
 In terms of elevation, it wasn't all that difficult a climb, but the mountain's proximity to Tokyo allowed one to get a good view upon the geography surrounding the actual city. Given the low-difficulty and quick reward of the 90 minute climb, the spot is understandably quite popular with families or friends just wanting to go for a quick hike.
 That aside, the paths are well kept and the area is lush with a vegetation hiding a number of animals (that we didn't really get to see.) Vines and roots were so abundant that both of my companions almost stepped on the same snake (not a small snake either. A pretty sizable snake,) and didn't even notice until I yelled it out - in excitement, not in fear. I tried to grab the thing by the tail but it slithered into the underbrush before I got a chance at it.

As good a picture as I got. Too bad it was a cloudy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment