Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Silly Inventions 1 : Necomimi

The innovation of the Japanese is a well-known thing; maybe to the point of stereotyping. Here's a new column. Just because I can't get around how great/awful/ridiculous some things I see here are. Alright. Here's the first.

#1: Necomimi

It's a terrible day indeed when something from weaboo-space tries to inch its way into the world of grown men and women. Unfortunately, it does occasionally happen, and here we are; it's Necomimi.
How does this qualify as an invention?
These are more than just a cat-ear headband. The necomimi has a node that goes onto the forehead and a sensor that is placed on the temple when worn. The idea is that, by picking up on brainwaves, the ears move in order to simulate the appropriate emotion. Put simply, the ears go down when you're thoughtful, or sad. They perk up when you're stimulated. They spin if you're excited or restless.

 These'll run you down around 150$. You're basically paying that much to let everyone around you know how sad or aroused you are. It's kind of creepy, and I'm not exactly sure what kind of niche market they're trying to hit with this thing. Don't get me wrong, the tech is actually kind of impressive, and the idea is, well, innovative, if nothing else.
 They had a kiosk, so I obviously had to try them; and sure as hell, they did start spinning just because I guess I was kind of anxious to see if they would work. But I couldn't get them to do much else. Whether this means the product isn't so accurate or that it can't be cheated is up to you to decide, but my verdict on necomimi is a no-buy. Come on. Who needs this thing. It's dorky.

No comments:

Post a Comment