Friday, August 10, 2012

Of Cicada Swarms

In Japan, in both the countryside and in big cities such as Tokyo, the coming of the deep months of Summer brings with it the almost motor-like grinding of the cicada. So loud that they can blot out the sound of traffic, they suddenly appear in Tokyo in swarms. Not that they don't exist in Canada. They do, but not in such ridiculous amounts, and often only in the countryside. Tokyo also has an enormous raven population though, and I can hardly imagine what the number of cicada would be like without them. They're not pests, though, unless you hold them accountable for sound pollution.
Sometimes I pause if I hear one close enough, and go on little cicada hunts to see if I can spot them. They're generally well camouflaged in bushy areas or high up in trees.
 A quick search in the underbrush, though, yields what you see on the left! They shed their skins during their larval stage, so those are just husks on my head. We literally found that many within thirty seconds.
 So much fun to be had! Do I dare prank someone with these?

No comments:

Post a Comment