Sunday, November 24, 2013

Osaka Bang

One of the most interesting things I had heard about Osaka and its people was the Osaka Bang myth. The thesis is simple: Osaka people are so fun-loving and easy going, that no matter who you approach and no matter what the situation you approach them in, if you make a gun with your fingers and point and them and yell "bang!" they will pretend to get shot. The myth was made famous and gained attention worldwide with this video:


But of course, I had to test this for myself. Would it work? Drumroll!


Oh, shit!
Well the video didn't tell me how embarrassing it is when the guy just looks back at you blankly. Someone find me a rock to hide under, quick.
 Alas, this proves that, no, not everyone will play along. But there is yet a silver lining behind this fart cloud that has been cast over my dreams!
 Unfortunately I didn't catch it on camera, but when I attempted it on one of the waiters in a kushikatsu restaurant, he flew back so splendidly that he bumped into another waitress and had to explain to her that he did it because I shot him! Osaka Bang fares a little better against the young crowd. If I'm ever there again I'll have to try some more. For science, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment