Saturday, November 16, 2013

Vampires, From Fad to Food

In nearby Ginza district is a themed restaurant named "Vampire." Given the proximity to my place, I sure have taken my sweet time to try it out, but better late than never, right?
 As I stepped out of the elevator into the dimly lit room, I was greeted by a goth-looking employee, dressed in black, pseudo-victorian attire, who led me to my room, taking slow and measured steps. The interior has a crimson and black scheme, lit with candles and decorated with skulls, crosses, and, of course, coffins, which I guess goes on par with the theme.
The restaurant isn't so big, and it wasn't long until I was lead into a small, private table with a red curtain to separate me from the main hall. "This is the victim's room," the waiter said calmly, showing me a map. He instructed me to ring a bell when I was ready to order.

The Gorgonzola cheese fettuccine and the banana-tinged Vampire's Castle cocktail 
I thought the food itself was pretty decent, but take into account that the portions are not too big at all. My pork fillet was just as tiny too, and the time it took for that one to come made me wonder if they weren't breeding and slaughtering the pigs in the kitchen. Also note that, though the food itself isn't so pricy (thankfully, given the portion size) there's a cover charge of 500¥ per person. My cocktail was pretty nice though, but that one didn't have such a modest price tag on it. In themed restaurants they rarely do.
 What I enjoyed the most was the waiter's sudden way of barging through the red curtains of the room whilst still wearing the same void facial expression. I tried to take a picture with him, but he said, to my chagrin, "I do not appear on photographs." Ah, you smooth bastard, I wanted to reply.
 Altogether, thanks to the waiter though, it was a pretty fun experience, I'd say. Try it, but bare in mind what I said about the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment