Friday, November 28, 2014

Rikugien's Autumn Night Illuminations

Rikugien garden is kind of special to me! It was one of the first few places I've set foot in upon entering Japan. In a way, it's the perfect example of the Japanese standard when it comes to traditional beauty - elegant, simple, but in the end, undeniably beautiful. Fun fact: Rikugien was constructed in the early 18th century, which makes it older than the United States of America.
 As it turns out though, at this time of the year, Rikugien garden stays open a little later for the yearly autumn night illuminations. So I figured I'd take a stroll and reminisce about it all.
At night, with the trees' leaves lit from beneath as they are, Rikugien is almost surreal, and it's no wonder it comes recommended as one of the hottest spots in Tokyo to appreciate the seasonal colors. I was lucky enough to take my stroll on a night where it wasn't too windy, and the payoff was great - the surfaces of the ponds scattered all around the park were perfectly still and reflected the leaves above like a mirror.
 In the rearmost section of the gardens, mist was cast over the ground and illuminated in cold blues, creating stark contrasts with the warmer colors of the leaves. I think a real photographer could have a hell of a field day here.

No comments:

Post a Comment