Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sunshine Aquarium

I dare say, if there's one thing that unites the people in Japan, it may just be love for fish. And I guess that might be a healthy thing, considering it's an island country. Nothing wrong about liking one's neighbors. But really, to prove my point, Tokyo has, what, four aquariums? Is there any other city in the world with four aquariums? Practically every major city in Japan has an aquarium. Montreal basically has half of one.
That being said, I had never actually been to one of Tokyo's in the three years I've lived in the city. So I figured I'd check one out, given that I live two subway stations away from one - that would be the Sunshine Aquarium.

 Truth be told, I like fish too. I have a tender spot in my heart for weird, alien-looking things, and God knows there's a lot of undersea critters that fit that description. Sunshine Aquarium definitely has its few, on top of the crowd favorites.
D'aww, yeah!
My personal favorite was actually the Sunfish (also known as Mola Mola or Mambo depending on where you're from.) Apparently, those aren't widely kept in aquariums. It was kind of hard for me not to be fascinated by the slow-moving giant, what with it looking like a huge face floating in space. But if that's not your thing, then you'll be glad to know that Sunshine Aquarium also has its share of "popular" fish too, like sting rays, a shark, moray eels, a school of sardines, seals, otters, penguins and even pelicans.
Ask anyone though, and they'll tell you the main highlights of the aquarium are the seals' glass playground in the exterior section of the park, or the jellyfish tunnel. While I'll admit the latter is kind of amazing in and of itself, the downside to it is that the aquarium itself is built on top of Sunshine City, which happens to be one of the most crowded malls in Tokyo. It's quite difficult to stand inside that jellyfish tunnel without being surrounded by a mob of equally enthused people, let alone have the kind of romantic moment the aquarium seems to want to advertise.
 If you're in the area, by all means, have a look for yourself, or better yet, bring a date, but the only way to make the best of it is to pick the time wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment