Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Blossoms on the River

The blossom season has come to Tokyo once again. As ever, the blooming of the cherry blossoms has drawn crowds to the parks, while also bestowing upon the populace the wonderful gift of hay fever. As much as I hate to admit it, even my eyes seem to be acting up when I walk under an area heavy in blossoms.



Having seen Ueno Park and Yoyogi Park in the previous years, I've decided this time around to focus on a different power spot - the romantic Meguro River. And as dirty and oily as the river is most of the year, the sakura trees lined up along its sides give it new life, whether it be with the help of the pink lanterns brought out during the blossom season or through the simple beauty of the river itself turning pink as the petals fall upon its surface. Against the backdrop of the river's scarlet bridges, though, it's hard not to admire the blooming flowers.

 It's my last hanami, and I think I'm going to miss this quite a bit. It takes a certain appreciation of beauty to enjoy the cherry blossoms, and for the whole population of Tokyo to be so taken by it says something about the Japanese people, and despite the crowds, it feels good to be part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment