Thursday, March 5, 2015

Crazy Good Times at Alcatraz ER

I've been away! My birthday was an unexpected blur of time off, relaxation in the countryside, good food, and then suddenly karaoke bars, regular bars, and singing and screaming and laughing. I feel like I've been around the city and back without much of a time to just sit in my familiar chair, but it's been a great ride. On top of just my close friends, I was even brought out to celebrate by my coworkers, at the venue of my choice. Well then, though I, if we're going to spend some time going crazy, we'll need an equally crazy venue. Alcatraz ER in Shibuya came to mind rather fast.
No, I didn't feel like being normal on this picture either.
 The izakaya Alcatraz is nowhere as somber as the place it draws its name from. In truth, it wasn't the first time I had gone - I had also been there for some food and drinks when my brother came around some two years ago. I regretted not having documented it, because it really had been quite a blast. I didn't miss this second chance.
 As you might have guessed, Alcatraz ER is an izakaya with a theme, which, this time around, is asylum. You might recall I've visited a jail-themed restaurant named The Lock-Up in the past. Let's just say the two establishments probably face serious competition in one another.


  But what Alcatraz does right over its competition is the way the staff are 100% dedicated to making the experience memorable. And I don't mean that they're all super-serious about the theme, but rather, working at Alcatraz ER seems to be a riot. The waitresses are sharp-tongued; they'll tell you that whatever you don't eat gets shoved up your ass. If you order tequila, it comes with a slap to the face. If they get bored, they'll start throwing plastic severed heads at the doors of your "cell." It's all great fun if you don't mind a joke or two at your expense.
 And of course, Alcatraz has its own share of fun drinks, and really, there are all kinds. A nursing bottle that the waitress will personally feed you. A "blood" drink poured into your cup or straight into your mouth by a syringe. A drink stirred by a dildo. Yeah, it's pretty crude, but it'll liven up the party like nothing else.

 I actually think I enjoyed Alcatraz over the Lock-Up, but once again, the true decisive factor of how much you'll enjoy it lies in the company you bring, and how much fun you're willing to bring to the place yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment