Saturday, February 25, 2012

Interesting Tidbits: Work Ethics & Community

This pose was unrequited.
The other day I was invited to my first work-colleagues' outing. Despite my company having many foreigners and half-breeds like myself, it's still run by Japanese, and therefore a rigid Japanese work ethic applies. For instance, any amount of lateness is completely intolerable, and three unjustified late arrivals within the space of two months would result in my possible termination.

 However, most Japanese work communities are tightly knit. And in my case, I don't just mean my fellow fitness teachers and I, but also the PR department, the receptionists and the top brass.
From what I hear, it's quite typical of whole companies in Japan to go out together and enjoy themselves.

 That being said, we all (those of us who could make it) went to Kart-ing together (as in, go karts) last Thursday evening, and that was quite fun. I won't go too in depth about the activity itself since it's not something at all unique to Japan, but I will say that I kind of suck at it. But all in all, it was really fun to get together with the company and do this kind of thing. I wouldn't have imagined myself racing my boss on karts before going and doing just that.

Left to right,  Nobu, Carlos, (bottom) me, Kota, Kenzo,
(squatting) Yuka, Nana, Kyoko, (top) Imre, (bottom) Kaoru, Villy, Rafai.
Notice I'm the only one doing something retarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment