Sunday, February 5, 2012

The (Not So) Local Flavor

It has a whole 3 calories!
 When Ken asked me what constituted Canadian food, the only thing I could think of to say was "poutine." That is pretty much it, right?
 Having been reminded of the (in)famous mass of cheese and lard piled upon french fries greasier than Danny DeVito, I wondered to myself if it would be possible to indulge in it while I was in Japan. And it turned out it is! There's a chain of restaurant/cafes called "Becker's" here, where they actually do sell poutine and call it poutine! And so, Ken and I had decided to give it a try.

 Eh, my review is mixed. As much as it reminded me of the homely Quebec poutine, it just wasn't the same. Just look at those thin, nicely cut fries and that anemic amount of gravy. Not to mention the oh-too-fine layer of pizza-ish cheese. It just doesn't compare! How am I supposed to get a heart stroke from something so delicate and easy to stomach? My fries should've been thick and dark and fuckin' swimming in gravy, with huge disgusting chunks of cheese so chemical they would kill lab mice. What a pity. To think I miss it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment