Friday, May 15, 2015

JICOO - The Floating Bar


When I used to live in the Tokyo Bay area, I would often happen upon what appeared to be a space-pod-looking boat decked in lights, floating upon the waters under the bridge. It wasn't until a year or so later that I identified the boat as the same one used for the floating bar, JICOO. I sent a shout out to my Adventure Friends, and Ken and Eri responded to the call!
The title Sean the Alien has never felt so literal.
I love how it's like a raffle, you never know who you'll get.
 Though no one can really agree on how the hell to read the name "JICOO", the futuristic boat shuttles between Odaiba and Hinode pier, making stops between the two every 30 minutes, making for a pretty scenic route.
Of course, given the circumstances, you can't really leave between those 30 minute intervals, and if you want to get off from the same place you boarded, you're in the bar for either one, two, or three hours, so it's best to think of these things before boarding. Whereas Thursday nights and Friday nights are lounge-like and rather quiet, despite there being a DJ on board, Saturday nights apparently get jam-packed, and events take place.

Inside JICOO.
 Personally, I can't vouch for the drinks much, though. My own cocktail seemed badly mixed and Ken got wine that might've been the most awful I've tasted since coming to Japan.
 But unarguably, the best thing about the JICOO experience is the fact that it lets you take in the bay area skyline from atop the water, granting you an unobstructed view. Odaiba is full of interesting looking buildings that light up at night and look really scenic with a little distance, though unfortunately my own camera crapped out during the night and I was unable to take any pictures of said cityscape.


 It costs 2600¥ to get in JICOO no matter how long you want to stay inside, so it's kind of an affordable way to bring your friends on a boat and enjoy the view with a (crappy) cocktail in hand! Ups and downs, I guess, but I thought it to be an enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment