Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Maid Cafe

Oh boy. This evening, Ken and I went to a maid cafe for the first time. It was interesting, and I'm definitely glad I got to experience it, but it was also overpriced (for what it is.)
I ordered this thing.
 For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of maid cafes, it's basically a food joint where you get served by girls dressed like "magical" maids. They call you stuff like "master", and draw on your food with ketchup or other condiments. For an extra charge you can play Pop-up Pirate or Jenga with the maids. It's definitely too campy and sugar-filled for the common mortal, I feel. The whole setting feels like walking into a 6-year old girl's tea-time fantasy, except for the dozen or so business men also sitting down nearby. You unfortunately aren't allowed to take pictures at will.


Instead of cute, I just look like the world's gayest boxer.
 It happened something like this. Ken and I walk in and are offered a seat. A bubbly girl introduces herself and asks for our names, then places an electronic candle on our table, telling us it's a magical candle of wishes come true or some shit. She blows into the cheap plastic prop and it lights up! She then tells us that we have to hold our hands in front of us like cats and say "nyan nyan" when we want to order, before leaving to attend to her other waitress duties.
 So I do that (much to Ken's amusement) and order curry rice. She takes my order, and the candle with it, stating that she must do so before my dreams melt away. Soon, I am brought my order, on which she draws some kind of cat face.
"You must hold your hands out in the shape of a heart and say nyan nyan before you eat your food." So I do that (also to Ken's amusement.) The food wasn't terrible (but it was overpriced.) Soon after I finished my meal, the maids put on a small dance show and shut down for the night, telling us that "the kingdom is now closing."
 I wish I was making this shit up. I didn't hate it, but I don't think I'd do it again any time soon. Also, we were the youngest people there (asides from the maids, probably.) Tokyo, hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment