Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I was on public television (for real this time)

 Two nights ago, I received a call from the Hotel owner telling me to come down to the lobby. Puzzled as to why, I hurried down, and met a certain Chihiro Kanemaru; a recruiter for Fuji Television, one of the biggest television companies in Japan. Think CNN or CBC. The young woman begged and begged for me to give my opinion on something for an interview the very next morning, and invited me to the studio. I would represent Canada within a small sample of foreigners in Tokyo.

 I thought it'd be fun. Plus, she was nice. I didn't even know they were paying at the time.
And so it came to pass that I visited the Fuji TV studios for a brief interview about a Japanese singer named Saori Yuki, who apparently topped the charts in Canada and USA for a while.
 The premise of the television segment was simple; I had to listen to the music and give my opinion on why Westerners might have enjoyed it. So I sat down, listened, along with the ten or so other people, and gave my opinion when the anchor asked.

I didn't fall asleep. They made us hum one of the songs.

Unfortunately, they only aired two of the ten or eleven interviews they filmed, and mine wasn't among them (they ultimately only showed Greece and Ethiopia, with a few words from Spain.) But hey! I was there. And I got paid, like, 40$ plus the amount I spent on getting there. So yeah.






On a side note, I also picked up my foreigner registration card today! I can now get paid officially - as in, not under the table. Also, I won't have to carry my passport around everywhere any more. My eyelashes look very thick on my picture, though; a perfect compliment to my brother's driver's licence where he looks like he's wearing lipstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment