Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tokyo National Museum


I'm not usually a huge sucker for things archaeological, but I decided to take up Julien's offer and go to the Tokyo National Museum with him.
 I wasn't expecting to spend the whole day there. That place was enormous. From Japanese history to art ranging from past millennium to recent centuries, you can expect a rich selection of things to look through.
 Being a humongous geek like I am, I particularly appreciated the swords and armor and other assortments of generally bad-ass things on display; though my highlight was the large, dominantly bad ass sculpture of this Shinto deity.
 That aside, it's also noteworthy that the museum owns such an abundant collection of items that they have to cycle between their material every few weeks or so, making it so that a second trip to the place is likely to bear different fruit, especially when it comes to the trademark delicate Japanese art of the olden days.
 Of note again are the traditional constructions that have been relocated around the museum, making the outdoors every bit as appreciable as the inside of the large complex.
Wow, I've been rather educational lately.


At the end of the day, we enjoyed a little chess. Though you wouldn't think it at first, Anton's a hell of a predator when it comes to the game. A real man-eater. I don't recall ever seeing someone so passionate about chess.
 I ran off with my tail between my legs when he mentioned that he studied the moves of Kasparov and shit, though I'll be sure to play him some time whenever I grow the balls for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment