Thursday, December 22, 2011

Night Out at Stella


Julian and I were invited today to go out with Mr Bobby and Kimura-san to a small bar in Asakusa named Stella. Seeing as we never got the chance to really hang out with them despite knowing them for a couple of months, we couldn't pass up on the chance, and so the four of us took bikes from New Koyo and rode out to Asakusa, which isn't too far away from our neighborhood, and a short 10 minute ride in the night air took us straight there.



I was surprised to find the place mostly attracted a younger age group of hip-hop oriented people than I had originally expected by accompanying Mr Bobby and Kimura-san. Stella isn't anywhere close to being as big as Womb or Unit, but it does have a dance floor. 

Alas, tragedy struck that night; the saddest thing perhaps that had happened to me since coming here.
As I was sipping from my Red Bull (in case you were wondering what a non-drinker orders at a bar) while talking to Mr Bobby, the young lady in green (pictured on the right) sat down next to me and tried to engage in conversation!

It went something like this; note that the text in italic is all spoken in Japanese.

Girl in Green: Hey!
Me: Oh hey, good evening.
GiG (smiling): [something something] dancing. [something something something.]
Me: Oh, err, I'm unfortunately Canadian. My Japanese sucks.
GiG (surprised): Oh? Really? You're Canadian?
Me: Yeah. My Japanese is terrible. Do you speak English?
GiG: Nope, not at all...
Me: Ah, that's too bad.
GiG (smiling, gesturing towards the dance floor): [Something something something] there. [Something something] yeah?
Me: Err, yeah! It's fun!
(She gets up and goes to the dance floor.)

I assumed she was asking how I liked it. I'll try not to torture myself by wondering what else she might have meant, but, damn it, I have to learn more Japanese.

2 comments: