Friday, December 2, 2011

We're dorks (together)

Today, Julian, Devin, Clement and I decided to go walk around in Shinjuku and go wherever the wind would take us. Thus, we strolled into Shinjuku-goen park. Though the wind is getting chillier with every passing week, Tokyo's parks are particularly nice at this time of the year, since the leaves have mostly turned but have not yet fallen. The great variety of trees in this area make it so that the colors are quite diverse. With so much city around us, it's kinda easy to forget that Japan is kind of a tropical island, and houses an expansive flora.


Having visited the park, we then ventured downtown to purchase prepaid cellphones. I have to give credit to Clement where it's due, since we wouldn't have been able to figure it all out without his knowledge of the language. Unfortunately, it took shamefully long for them to prepare the phone for us (Julian bought one too), so we decided to kill some time at an arcade.

I told him to pose like this.
 Now, arcades in Tokyo aren't like the measly ones back home. Here, they're megalithic spires with up to five floors, packed with a decent amount of people at any time of the day. We walked around the floors with all the cool games and shit, and were quite frankly intimidated. I was watching a girl play, and decided to opt out of playing with her because she would kick my ass and wipe the floor with me. Then I watched a child play, and decided the same thing. I'm pretty sure if there was a dog in there it'd have also kicked my ass. So instead we went back to the first floor and played the UFO catcher games. I spent 200Y (3$) before quitting. Julian spent 8$. Devin spent 28$.
Julian won this weird fucking thing. It's an action-figure doll with airplane propellers for legs. I won't even comment on that, but I will say it's pretty Japanese, alright.




So after one hour, we headed back to the cellphone place to see if our orders were ready. They weren't. So we waited another 20 minutes so that the crab-people could finish and give us our purchase, by the end of which they did. It turns out what took so long was charging the phone. Why this was so important, I don't know. My phone comes with useless features such as a daily fortune and, if I understood corectly, an earthquake-warning app, which is kind of weird, seeing as I'm pretty sure I'd feel it if there was an earthquake that posed any danger to me. Of course, I didn't pay anything extra for any of that shit.

 All in all, my phone cost me 30$, plus 30$ for two months of unlimited received calls and text messaging. It's a good deal, I think, and one that's been recommended to me many times.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're having a hell of an adventure man! Amazing. Keep these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete